Here are a few pieces of equipment that I think are overpriced, or overhyped. Or just bad. Some of these things have a purpose, but I just think that they aren't worth buying if you have a limited budget, or have limited space in your house:
1. Ab Roller. I have one of these. You can do one thing. Ab roll. Its just not worth having, especially with so many great ab exercises out there that don't require an ab roller.
2. Treadmill. Don't get me wrong, I run on a treadmill three times a week at the gym. But, unless you LOVE running on a treadmill, there is a strong chance that your treadmill is going to be used as a second closet instead of being something that inspires a great run. Then, you'll feel guilty. Then, you'll hate that thing. Its also expensive, and takes up a lot of room. Just run outside. Or join an inexpensive gym. They all have treadmills.
3. The Step. Having something to step up on is actually great for making exercises more challenging, or doing some cardio in your home. However, you can find something else to step on. A low bench, a stair, a low solid table. I would say this is just something I like to get creative with. If a step makes you more comfortable, go for it, but if you are on a tight budget, skip it!
4. Shake weight. Well, obviously. Do I really need to go into why this is a pointless, and extremely embarrassing piece of equipment?
5. Anything that claims that you don't have to do anything to shed the pounds. Or anything that is just going to shake your fat right off your body. Or anything that you have to make 3 payments of 29.99. Also, just anything that is only good for one exercise.